Wednesday, December 29, 2010

New Year's Revolution!

So, friends have told me off and on for a while that I should start writing a blog. Usually, I just kind of shrugged it off, since it seemed like a self-promotional sort of thing, which I tend to avoid. Not that self-promotion is a bad thing, exactly. I've just always had a problem with going: "Ta-dah! It's me! And look what I can do!" Maybe it's because, usually, whatever it is I can do is either not all that impressive to other people, or I mess it up somehow.

But recently I started to realize something: I am not a very disciplined person. This is a bad thing for people who like and/or need to write. I'm an "and" person: writing makes my life better. However, it's a hobby, for the most part, so that means there aren't actually any real deadlines or real people who demand that I finish such and such project or else. When I have free time, and I can write to my heart's content, I usually wake up in the morning and go: "Yay [if it's a good morning]! All right! Taking-the- dog-out-time! Breakfast time! Email Time! Facebook time! Website time! ... Oh wait. Writing Time... I mean, oh. Hm. Well, there's this... Well, I don't like that sentence... I.... What the hell...? Hm. Oh well... Hey, Facebook Time!" And suddenly it's dinnertime.

I read on Don Miller's blog that writing a blog helped him to actually write (yeah, crazy huh?). So that's awesome. He also wrote that it's helped him see the world and everyday life experiences a little differently. That's a good thing, too. And those are both things that I would like to happen this year.

The thing is, I'm pretty terrible at New Year's Resolutions, usually because the ones I pick are kind of lame. Well, maybe not lame, but the kinds of things that are impossible to fully accomplish because they're not super major. Like I've already mentioned: discipline and I are not so compatible anymore. (Which, on a side note, I blame on my husband's influence. I used to be very disciplined... and maybe a little compulsive.) So while I will probably still make these not-so-great resolutions, I think I want to make them a little bit beefier by making it harder to back out of them. So something like a special little blog should help, and it should get me writing more. At least a few times a week.

So that's all. Thanks for giving me a few minutes of your life. Here it goes.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Emma:

    Way to go -- the first one's the hardest. The next 200 are all tied for second. Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Emma! I'm very excited to see you taking the plunge here. You're a natural! I'm also looking forward to learning more about Jeff through this blog... ;)

    ReplyDelete