Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Distractions.

Ever since Monday, I've been trying (and other people have been trying) to distract me. Because that is what you should do when you are so unhappy and grieving like I am. And, at times, it works. I still don't want to eat, and I cry when I think about my poor girl, but I manage to find things to take my mind off of what happened. I visited my sister in Gloucester, I watched television, I checked email, I listened to NPR, I wasted time online...

Because you aren't really supposed to just sit around and dwell on your loss.

Even though this loss is a large loss for me and my little family, I get this feeling that I am supposed to distract myself, if only to give my eyes and mind a rest for a few hours.

And I think this extends further than just mourning. I think this extends out everywhere, in our every day, happy and normal lives. Sometimes it's like distractions are what makes this world go round. We love media, music, text-messaging, social networking, internet updates, videos, everything, because these are things that we can get so lost in we forget everything else. And it can feel nice to forget everything else.

I just don't know if it's good to forget or get lost. Maybe it is. I don't know.

Is it healthier? Is it necessary? Is it just a part of living?

1 comment:

  1. When my Mr. Buddha died, I stayed in bed for two days, cried A LOT, and still have heart pangs every now and then. I think it is healthy to do both. Remember, then give yourself a break through distraction, then remember, repeat, repeat, repeat. Oh, and remember I love you a whole heck of a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete