Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Strange Overlap: Music and Words.


Sometimes I find myself listening to music and typing a story or some thoughts or whatever, and I start to get this weird desire to write something that might somehow match the music I'm listening to in order to connect the two mediums and make my experience complete.

I've never been able to fully separate music from words. One feeds into the other.

When I was younger, maybe in second or third grade or so and couldn't really write all that much, I would draw pictures of stories and listen to music on tape cassette to accompany it. I can write without listening to music, and I can definitely listen to music without writing, but when I'm really on a roll, and in the zone, the two are synched up, and I find one song on a loop as I type page upon page upon page. 

I listen to music while I'm reading too, and then whatever it is I was listening to while I was reading that book becomes forever associated with it. When I was a junior in high school, we read In Cold Blood, and I was listening to Soul Junk's 1956 at the time, and now I will forever connect the two. Same thing more recently:  The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and All Delighted People. In both of these examples, the music does not really reflect the tone or subject matter of either novel. At all.

But, then again, I associate all music I listen to with certain periods in my life. And it isn't some vague, nostalgic feeling. It is a distinct, specific event or time. My husband thinks this might be one of my special little eccentricities. Virtually every single album I listen to has a connection to something else.  It doesn't just exist on its own, as its own separate entity. Like most things in life, it gets all tangled up with something else.

I'm fortunate to live in a day and age where music is so readily available, because otherwise I don't know what I would do with myself. I'd probably have to seriously take up an instrument. But it seems kind of difficult to play a sonata on the piano and write a novel simultaneously.

(On a side note: this may not be so difficult if it was playing a sonata and a video game simultaneously).

Sometimes the two activities manage to flow together well. But right before I began writing this post, I felt that horrible disjunction between the two. And I'm starting to think that this disjunction indicates something a bit more important: Whatever it was I was writing was getting BORING. So music has also become a bit of a litmus test. If the music I'm listening to can't get the job going, then I'm screwed, right?

Music makes everything better: chores, long commutes, movies, sex, food, books... life. Probably death too. 

I've heard some people argue about how this overload of music and ipods and things are actually bad for us. It's cluttering up our life, etc., and we should be engaging in Socratic dialogues somewhere instead, and so on. As a college instructor, there may be some truth to this, since it seems many people are becoming crippled by their inability to connect with others, and ipods can certainly make it easy to shut the outside world out.

But I think really great music makes for better connection.

I mean, the reason why concerts are such wonderful experiences is due to that sense of communal enjoyment. And this often happens among complete strangers. One can just bask in the sounds and the feeling of the music.

Although it's not an airtight argument, I think music proves God's existence. And it makes my writing work better. It feeds it and helps it grow. It's a little strange, and it maybe marks me as a Gen-Xer, but it's like the music goes from the machine, up the wire, into the headphones, into my ears, down my neck, shoulders, through my arms, and back into my fingertips, and so, onto the page (typing or writing, whatever). It's a cyclical pattern that obeys natural law: nothing is lost. It's all self-contained.

Now, if only I could figure out how music can help me write something I'm not all that inspired to write...

4 comments:

  1. The phantom of the BlogJanuary 14, 2011 at 10:02 AM

    Hi Emma, one theory to the connection between music and language is that it has to do with how music has been matched with words. For us a minor chord sounds sad becuase it has been attached to sad themes, but in other cultures a major chord can be a sad sound. Before instrumental music there was poetry acompanied by song, I think one of the earliest examples of this was the troubadors who used music to acompany poetry. Ironically this oldest of musical artforms is what is thought of today as the newest, but in reality it is the oldest. It does shed light on the infinate posibilities of music however, such an old artform still remains new becuase it has been reinvented so many times. Because music has served and continues to serve as an accompaniment to words, the music has been given verbal definitions. Some think that instrumental music stemed from this, the musical sound was given meaning through language and is now part of spoken language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Phantom,
    So many interesting thoughts here:
    I am glad you brought up societal influence, since my discussion was a bit reductive. (It is dangerous to assume anything is "natural" or can be applied universally and this post probably did that a little bit.) I didn't even acknowledge how different languages are often musical in themselves: I'm thinking Japanese or Chinese, where tonal inflection changes the meaning of a word.
    This also brings up another question in my mind though. I was listening to an interview with a musical artist who said he comes up with music first, and then writes the lyrics to match the feeling or sound. According to this theory you presented, it could be argued the lyrics were already half-way written when the music was, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The problem comes when we associate awful songs with good memories. It makes it difficult because I really want to turn the song off but if I do then the fuzzy feeling I get when I am remembering a good time in my life will go away too. It's always a dilemma when I hear Dave Matthews Band or something. I know that the music is awful but I like remembering things about my teenage years that were awesome that I associate with the song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The late 90s was kind of like that, right? Chumbawumba... Smashmouth... Sugar Ray... I could go on.

    ReplyDelete